Saturday, December 31, 2016

Endings and Beginnings


“Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing” John 15:5b.
The years come and go; the sun rises in the east and goes down in the west; it rains and the rain ceases; we born and we died but rain or shine; birth or death 2016 or 2017 Jesus is the same loving, compassionate and reliable Saviour, companion and friend.

We are in the final hours of the year 2016 and this was another various year. For some persons there were political shockwaves in USA, UK, Granada and Jamaica (to name a few); human trafficking, the murders of our citizens, including our children; the carnage on the roads; the outstanding performances of Usain Bolt, Elaine Thompson; the transition of relatives, neighbours and colleagues; the birth of babies, celebration graduations, weddings and the strengthening of the Jamaican economy are just some of the experiences in 2016.

By God’s grace and mercy we have commenced 2017. We know not what lies ahead but we are confident that God who knows all things is with us and will never leave us or forsake us. God said through the prophet Isaiah “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze” Isaiah 43:2

With the dawning of a new year come endless introspection, reflection and forward-planning. An opportunity is created for us to check our connectedness to Jesus; start afresh with a new outlook on life and ensure we are living purposeful and productive lives.

Our connection to Jesus, the all-wise and omnipotent constant, is critical. Jesus is he who encompasses beginnings and endings because he is the Alpha and Omega who is God from everlasting to everlasting. He is the same in the past, present and the future. He said “If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing” John 15:5. The words “apart from me you can do nothing” indicate the centrality of connectedness to fruit-bearing of the Christian life.

Something tells me that ultimately Jesus is more concerned about individual commitment and engagement than he is about organized religion. I hasten to state that organized religion is important but ultimately each believer is required to stand on his or her own testimony. We are required to work together as a body but each connection to Jesus is vital for faithfulness and fruitfulness.

As 2017, with all its opportunities, beckons let us join the late Allan Kirton in saying to God:

You place many duties in my hands, in my hands,
 And shaping my world is my task, Lord;
 On You I depend Lord for the power,
This I ask, That all makes sense in my hands.

Thought: Our beauty, joy and power indicate our connection to Jesus.

Prayer Focus: Pray to discern your duties for 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment